While most cloud computing professionals are aware of the Foundational, Associate, and Professional AWS Certifications, it’s worth mentioning that AWS also offers specialty certifications. Anyone pursuing a career that includes data analysis, data lakes, and data warehouse solutions is a solid candidate to earn the AWS Certified Big Data — Specialty certification.
The AWS Certified Big Data — Specialty certification is a great option to help grow your career. AWS Certification shows prospective employers that you have the technical skills and expertise required to perform complex data analyses using core AWS Big Data services like Amazon EMR, Amazon Redshift, Amazon QuickSight, and more. This certification validates your understanding of data collection, storage, processing, analysis, visualization, and security.
You can learn more about the full range of industry-recognized credentials that AWS offers on the AWS Certification page.
Recommended knowledge and experience
In addition to having a solid passion for cloud computing, it’s recommended that those interested in taking the AWS Certified Big Data — Specialty exam meet the following criteria:
- A minimum of 2 years of experience using AWS.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a data analytics field.
- Background in defining and architecting AWS Big Data services with the ability to explain how they fit in the data life cycle of collection, ingestion, storage, processing, and visualization.
- Hold an AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner OR a current Associate-level certification:
You can find a complete list of recommended knowledge and the exam content covered in the Exam Guide. If you can tick the boxes on each of these criteria, then you’re ready to start preparing for the AWS Certified Big Data — Specialty exam.
While there are no training completion requirements, AWS offers several options to help you prepare for the exam with best practices and technical skill checks to self-assess your readines
- Data Analytics Fundamentals – Digital | 3.5 hours
- Big Data on AWS – Classroom | 3 days
- Exam Readiness: AWS Certified Big Data Specialty – Classroom | 1 day
- Download the AWS Certified Big Data — Specialty Exam Guide
- Download AWS Certified Big Data — Specialty sample questions
In this post, I provided an overview of the value in earning the AWS Certified Big Data — Specialty certification. I covered the recommended knowledge that is a strong indicator of having reached a level of experience that qualifies you as a solid candidate for this AWS certification. I also provided training resources to help you brush up on your knowledge of AWS Big Data services.
If you have any feedback or questions, please leave a comment… and good luck on your exam!
About the Author
Tina Kelleher is a program manager at AWS.